There’s a venomous tree in Australia whose sting is so bad that people and animals have killed themselves from the pain!
The Gympie-Gympie tree may have an amusing name, but it'll leave you in agony. The tree, which is native to Australia, is one of the most venomous plants in the world. It's been said that one sting feels like you're being burned with acid and electrocuted at the same time. Within minutes, victims start swelling up to the point where it's difficult to breathe.
Stories dating all the way back to 1866 talk about tree. One such story tells the tale of a road surveyor's packhorse getting stung and 'going mad.' There are also lots of folklore about horses purposely throwing themselves off of cliffs after getting stung. Unfortunately, those tendencies aren't limited to animals. One story tells of an officer who shot himself after getting stung by the tree because he was driven mad by the pain.
There's no cure for the sting, but there are treatments available. People who think they could come into contact with one, such as foresters and timber workers, are often supplied with respirators, thick gloves, and anti-histamine tablets.