These rocks were named after the apostles for total tourism. There weren’t even 12!
The Twelve Apostles is a collection of limestone stacks off the shore of the Port Campbell National Park in Victoria, Australia.
The site was originally known as the Sow and Piglet, but the name was changed to The Apostles in 1922 to help increase tourism.
The name was further modified to The Twelve Apostles later on despite there only being nine of them at the time!
There had previously been more than that, but since one collapsed due to erosion in 2005, there are now only eight left. The pillar that fell was 50 meters tall.
The pillars erode at a rate of approximately 2 cm per year. This erosion isn’t a bad thing, as without erosion the pillars wouldn’t have existed in the first place. The soft limestone they were a part of was slowly eroded over time, first into caves, then into arches, and finally into pillars.
The last step is the complete erosion of the pillars and the cycle will be done. New pillars will eventually take the place of the fallen as the sea continues to erode the side of the cliff they were once a part of.