Only 1% of Earth’s water is fresh water above ground or in the air—the other 99% is either salt water or Glacier Ice.

Only 1% of Earth’s water is fresh water above ground or in the air—the other 99% is either salt water or Glacier Ice.

97% of the world’s water is salt water. That’s bad for humans, whoneed fresh water to survive.

Three percent of Earth’s water is fresh water, but

most of this is either underground or frozen in glaciers.

Fresh surface water accounts for only about a quarter of a percent of the world’s water. Brazil is the country estimated to have the largest supply of fresh water in the world, followed by Russia and Canada.

Rivers often carry more water than they appear. There is sub-surface water that runs through the rocks and gravels that underlie the river, an area called the hyporheic zone. This unseen flow is even sometimes larger than the visible flow!

Salt water can be turned into fresh water through an artificial process called desalination, usually achieved through reverse osmosis. It’s fairly expensive, though, and so not worth it in most cases.

It’s only practical in places that severely lack access to fresh water. The Persian Gulf uses this process more than where else.

(Source)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s