Ever wanted to learn how to say LOL or WTF in French?
The French have made their own equivalents of “LOL” and other Internet conversational acronyms. They include, but are not confined to:
- MDR is the LOL equivalent in French, meaning “mort de rire”, or dying with laughter, roughly translated.
- PTDR is a little stronger, akin to ROFL: “pété de rire”, or farting with laughter, roughly translated.
- KCDR is the strongest, from “cassé de rire”, meaning broken with laughterKC = Kah-say = cassé.
The French also use the English acronyms “LOL” and “WTF” in their daily internet conversations. The English acronym system is that strong and that global.They do still have their own equivalents to “WTF”, too. They include but are not confined to:
- TG is the vulgar way to tell somebody to stop talking (ta gueule – shut your mouth/gob/trap) (cf. STFU)
- OSEF is the less vulgar way of saying the same thing – who cares, or “on s’en fout”.